Acceptance Mark

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Say That Ish: Morgan Freeman No Likey Black History Month+Spike Lee Says He’s “Poor”


Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is “ridiculous.” Here’s what he had to say about it in a “60 Minutes” interview airing on Sunday:

“You’re going to relegate my history to a month? I don’t want a black history month. Black history is American history…I am going to stop calling you a white man and I’m going to ask you to stop calling me a black man.”



Black History Month has roots in historian Carter G. Woodson’s Negro History Week, which he designated in 1926 as the second week in February to mark the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln. Woodson said he hoped the week could one day be eliminated — when black history would become fundamental to American history.

Morgan also said there is no “white history month” and says the only way to get rid of racism is to “stop talking about it. He also believes the labels “black” and “white” are an obstacle to beating racism. So his newish relationship with his white girlfriend he supposedly left his wife of 24 years for is his way of showing he’s colorblind? I’ll keep my comments to myself on this one.

In other news, Page Six reported yesterday that Spike Lee told Britain’s Sunday Observer, that despite a Manhattan townhouse, Martha’s Vineyard home and kids in private school, he is not wealthy:

He told me he had always intended his kids to go, as he did, to state schools. “But my wife put the kibosh on that,” he said. Lee balks at being described as wealthy. “It’s not rich rich,” he told me. “Rich is Spielberg. Lucas. Gates. Steve Jobs. Jay-Z! Bruce Springsteen. I’m not complaining. But that’s money. Will Smith. Oprah Winfrey - that’s a ton of money. Compared to them, I’m on welfare!”

Um, ok Spikey. I guess “wealth” is relative.

No comments: